Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Sick day and Songs of Joy

My boys are both home today (JP is sick)…and were playing, packing up their Lighting McQueen suitcases to go on an adventure. They were packing hurriedly, even shoving the just-folded clothes into their luggage which of course, drove me crazy. Fast forward through the mom-gets-angry part to the part where they arrive at their journey. I overhear one say, “Wow! We’re finally here…in Ethiopia, Africa!” My ears perk up. I listen while they pretend to talk to their sister, telling her “We are proud of you, JG for waiting so patiently.” My tears start to flow, thinking of how impatient I feel, how sad and how angry I am that we failed court Monday, and that she is not coming home in May. They continue to play, handing her a Dunham pom-pom, books that JP wrote for school (where Tom & Jerry go to a haunted house and pray to God when they are scared. Yes I realize how funny this is.), and their favorite George and Martha book. I go into the laundry room to collect myself…ironic, mainly because the laundry room is so chaotic it is that place one should try to clear their head. I hear T say, “I think I will sing her a lullaby.” (Read my last post.) Then he changes his mind saying, “oh. She doesn’t need one.” I come out from the laundry room and argue with him that she does, in fact, need a lullaby. I glance at the clock reading 12.45…realizing it is almost 9 pm in Addis and she is probably in bed. My heart is sad…T again says, “Mom, she does NOT need a lullaby.” It strikes me not as him being obstinate (at it normally would from my son, so much like me), but instantly I think, “isn’t there a verse about God singing over us”? I found it in Zephaniah 3.17:
"Do not fear;
Zion, let not your hands be weak.
17 The LORD your God in your midst,
The Mighty One, will save;
He will rejoice over you with gladness,
He will quiet you with His love,
He will rejoice over you with singing.”
18 “ I will gather those who sorrow over the appointed assembly,
Who are among you,
To whom its reproach is a burden.
19 Behold, at that time
I will deal with all who afflict you;
I will save the lame,
And gather those who were driven out;
I will appoint them for praise and fame
In every land where they were put to shame.
20 At that time I will bring you back,
Even at the time I gather you;
For I will give you fame and praise
Among all the peoples of the earth,
When I return your captives before your eyes,”
Says the LORD."
So we wait until next week to hear of our second court date. Maybe longer. But while we wait, we can imagine a melody so sweet being sung over us and our sweet girl. Sleep tight, Gracie!

3 comments:

  1. That made me cry! Your boys (and you) are so amazing!!! I can't even imagine what you guys are going through but I can't wait to share in the moment of joy when Jane Grace finally comes home!!!!!! See you all very soon... ~T

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jaime, Having failed court once I remmeber all too well the pain of it. I'm sorry that things are difficult right now. I know you are confident in the Lord and I am confident along with you. I am hopeful and waiting for Him to work out the details for you to bring your sweet child home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your post made me cry, too. So adorable how John Peter and Christopher pretend play with their sister. I have faith that God will bring you your little girl, truly I do. Sure it's easy for me to say that when you have gone through so many twists and turns on the road to her, but it's your blind love that will bring you together. Much love to you, Dean, and the boys, (I can say the boys, do you remember how many parents called us "the girls" all the time?). Mom and I were talking about you yesterday and I don't know if you know, but she's always wanted to adopt a child. Keep your chin up and all of that, my dear friend, hold onto the bond of love you carry in your heart.

    Mo

    ReplyDelete